Fire Prevention Bureau
The Fire Prevention Bureau provides the highest level of fire prevention services through comprehensive inspections and code enforcement, plan review and engineering services, public education, fire investigations, and exterior hazard control to ensure properties are properly constructed in accordance with local and state codes.
The Fire Prevention Bureau provides fire prevention services to our citizens who live or work in the cities of Brentwood, Oakley, including the unincorporated communities of Knightsen, Bethel Island, Byron, Discovery Bay, Marsh Creek and Morgan Territory.
Under the direction of the Fire Marshal, the Fire Prevention Bureau has five main divisions: Code Enforcement and Inspection, Engineering and Plan Review, Public Education, Fire Investigation, and Exterior Hazard Control.
- The Code Enforcement and Inspection Division is primarily responsible for inspecting of existing occupancies for compliance with Fire Code, CCR Title 19, Health & Safety Code, Fire District Ordinance, and applicable NFPA standards. There are approximately 8,000 occupancies assigned to the bureau for inspections to ensure compliance with Fire Code operational permit requirements or based on a statutory requirement to conduct annual life safety inspections in certain occupancy types.
- The Engineering and Plan Review Division is primarily responsible for plan review, new construction inspections, and fire and life safety systems acceptance testing to ensure compliance with the California Fire and Building Codes, Fire District Ordinance and Standards, and applicable NFPA standards. Plan review services are provided through traditional plan submittal and review processes, as well as, “over the counter” plan review of minor projects and small fire protection system modifications.
- The Public Education Division provides a long list of valuable programs to the public to promote and teach fire safety to all ages through a variety of delivery methods. The Division’s programs range from teaching kindergarteners how to "Stop, Drop and Roll" to assisting senior citizens how to recognize and eliminate hazards in their home.
- The Exterior Hazard Control Division inspects both public and private properties for compliance with Fire District weed abatement standards, which were established through local ordinance. The Division primary purpose is to limit the potential sources of fuel for fire through abatement of combustible rubbish and vegetation to create “defensible space” around properties to would allow firefighters to effectively stop fires from spreading from open space areas to homes and properties. The Division works proactively with other agencies throughout the County, including the Diablo Fire Safe Council, to reduce the threat of wildfire in the communities we service.
- The Fire Investigation Division is responsible for determining origin and cause of fires and the investigations of fire related incidents of both criminal and accidental at the direction of the Fire Chief, pursuant to the mandate for fire origin and cause determination as outlined in the Fire Code. The Division works closely with other law enforcement personnel from our County and City agencies to effect the successful investigation, arrest, prosecution, and conviction of arsonists.
Located at Brentwood City Hall 150 City Park Way, Brentwood CA 94513
Fire Prevention Phone Number: (925) 240-2139
Due to the COVID19 pandemic, our offices are currently closed to the public.
Our staff is working remotely and are here to assist you.
Plan submittals and permit requests may be submitted via email at email@example.com.
Office hours Monday - Friday from 8:00 - 4:30 (closed from 12-1 for lunch). - Temporarily Suspended
In person consultations are by appointment only.